I’ve just posted, in my Bangor Daily News blog, the sad story of a loon rescue launched in my backyard on Minnehonk Lake in Mount Vernon. Please read it and then consider this – the rest of the story.
This loon died of lead poisoning after ingesting a lead sinker used and lost by an angler. Quite a few years ago, Maine Audubon proposed and lobbied for a new law banning the sale of lead sinkers weighing one ounce or less.
On behalf of the Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine, I successfully lobbied to reduce the weight to half an ounce or less, and the bill was enacted. It is illegal today in Maine to sell lead sinkers of one half ounce or less.